Get ready to enjoy the delightful world of apple turnovers on National Apple Turnover Day. These flaky pastries filled with sweet and tangy apples are a treat every day of the year. We’ll explore what makes a great apple turnover, share a mouthwatering recipe, discuss fruit variations, and reveal the best places to satisfy your apple turnover cravings.
What Makes a Great Apple Turnover
A great apple turnover is all about the perfect balance of flavors and textures. It starts with a flaky and buttery pastry crust that is golden brown and crispy. Inside, you’ll find tender and slightly tart apple slices that are sweetened with a touch of sugar and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. The combination of the delicate crust and the juicy apple filling creates a heavenly treat.
Recipe for Classic Apple Turnover
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, mixing until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into four equal portions, shape into discs, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together diced apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out each dough portion into a circle. Place a portion of the apple filling on one half of each circle, leaving a small border.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, press the edges to seal, and crimp with a fork.
- Brush the turnovers with beaten egg wash and cut a small slit on top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Delicious Fruit Variations
You can create delicious turnovers using other fruits such as peaches, berries, or pears. Simply substitute the apples in the recipe with your desired fruit, adjust the sugar and spices accordingly, and follow the same instructions.
Best Places to Buy Apple Turnovers:
- Local Bakeries: Check out your neighborhood bakeries for freshly baked apple turnovers. They often offer a variety of flavors and use high-quality ingredients.
- Farmers’ Markets: Visit local farmers’ markets, where you’ll find vendors selling homemade turnovers made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- Specialty Pastry Shops: Specialty pastry shops and gourmet food stores often have a selection of artisanal apple turnovers that are made with attention to detail and unique flavor combinations.
National Apple Turnover Day highlights the continued popularity of these flaky pastries filled with sweet apple goodness. Whether you bake your own turnovers at home or explore local bakeries and specialty shops, enjoy the unmatched combination of its buttery crust and combined with a tender apple filling. Be sure to other fruits and flavors for a delightful twist.